There are many ways to make gluten-free vegan pancakes but buckwheat flour is our new fave! It cooks quickly, holds together without adding other binders and has a delicious nutty taste. Combined with a sweet brandied strawberry sauce and the most perfect coconut whip, you’ll be craving breakfast in bed every day of the week.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 8 pancakes
2 cups diced strawberries
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup brandy
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp arrowroot flour (or cornstarch)
1 tsp water
1 ½ cups buckwheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp melted vegan butter
2 cups non-dairy milk
2 Tbsp vegan butter (or cooking pancakes)
1 can full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1. In a small saucepan bring maple syrup and brandy to a simmer over medium heat.
2. Once the mixture is bubbling, add in the diced strawberries and lemon juice. Continue to stir occasionally while you bring to a simmer again.
3. Mix together arrowroot flour and water in a small bowl until smooth and add this to the strawberry mixture.
4. Continue to stir occasionally while simmering for 10 minutes until thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside while you make pancakes.
5. Bring a non-stick pan to medium heat and combine the pancake batter ingredients together in a mixing bowl until well combined.
6. You may need to waver between medium and medium-low heat to keep the pancakes cooking evenly. Place a little bit of vegan butter in the centre of the pan and pour 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. It’s best to cook 1-2 pancakes at a time depending on the size of your pan, for about 2 minutes per side.
7. You must use a can of full-fat coconut milk for the coconut whip and have it already refrigerated, so it’s really cold and the thick cream is separated from the liquid. Another tip is to place the beaters from your hand mixer and a stainless steel bowl in the freezer in advance of preparing the coconut whip.
8. When you open the can of coconut milk, scoop only the thick cream that is sitting on top into the stainless steel bowl. Do not let any liquid get in the mixture. Beat on high for a couple of minutes until thick and fluffy.
9. Serve the pancakes warm with brandied strawberry sauce and a generous dollop of coconut whip.