Herbalicious Breakfast Casserole
- prep time85 min
- total time 85 min
- serves 12
A baked egg and cheese casserole that can be assembled in advance and frozen.
8 Tbsp salted butter, plus more for buttering the baking dish
8 store-bought onion rolls
¼ cup sliced roasted red peppers
8 oz cream cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella
2 cups milk
3 heaping tbsp basil pesto
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
10 large eggs
1. Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
2. Tear the onion rolls into chunks and place them in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle the roasted peppers on top, then tear the cream cheese over the peppers. Sprinkle with the mozzarella, then cut the butter into pats and scatter over the top.
3. Mix together the milk, pesto, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper and eggs in a large bowl and pour slowly over the top of the dish, making sure to get it all around and into the crevices. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then foil. Freeze for up to 2 months.
4. To cook from frozen: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
5. Remove the foil and plastic wrap, then re-cover the casserole with the foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until firm and set, about 10 minutes more. Portion and serve immediately.
6. To cook from thawed: The evening before serving, remove the casserole from the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
7. Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
8. Remove the foil and plastic wrap, then re-cover the casserole with the foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then raise the temperature to 350ºF, remove the foil and continue baking until firm and set, 10 to 15 minutes. Portion and serve immediately.