Everyone loves pizza; from a young age, this beloved junk food finds its way into our hearts and never leaves. Takeout pizza, however, tends to be the first thing I think of when I want to order in. It can become an all-too-familiar routine. But all you need to jazz up your ho-hum pizza night is to have a few key ingredients on hand. Let the kids get involved. Little ones can start chopping, older kids help put it all together.
Here are three pizza recipes that are super fun to make and delicious to eat.
Pepperoni Pizza Muffins
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
2 cups flour (1 cup all-purpose white, 1 cup whole wheat)
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cubed cheese (marble, cheddar or mozzarella)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup milk
¼ cup butter, melted
½ cup finely chopped red pepper
? cup pizza sauce
½ cup shredded mozzarella
½ cup pepperoni, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large muffin pan with liners or spray muffin cups with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, basil and baking soda.
3. In a second bowl, mix yogurt, eggs and milk. Slowly whisk in melted butter until combined. Pour into dry ingredients and slowly mix until well combined. Toss in pepper, cubed cheese and pepperoni. If you find your batter thick, thin it with a little milk.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into muffin cups. Spread a teaspoon of pizza sauce on top and a sprinkle of mozzarella.
5. Bake for 12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Start testing at about 10 minutes.
6. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then completely cool on wire rack.
7. Don’t be afraid to make extra – they freeze well.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped pepperoni (sticks or slices)
1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons pizza sauce
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
8 slices mozzarella or provolone cheese
1. In a large bowl mix together ground beef, pepperoni, basil, oregano, pizza sauce, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper until just combined.
2. Form 8 burger patties.
3. On a pre-heated BBQ, grill your burgers approximately 5 minutes per side over medium-high heat.
4. Place a slice of cheese on each burger, close lid and allow cheese to melt slightly.
5. If you like your buns toasted, now is the time to put your buns on the grill for about 1 minute or until toasted.
6. Remove burgers, please on buns and serve with your favourite pizza toppings and/or condiments.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup brown or white mushrooms, sliced
½ cup red pepper, diced
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
2 cups stock (beef, chicken or vegetable)
1 cup pepperoni sticks, sliced thin
½ teaspoon basil
Mozzarella or Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1. In a large pot heat your oil. Add onions, mushrooms and pepper. Stir and cook until soft.
2. Pour in tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon or your fingers. Add stock and bring to a boil.
3. Turn heat down to a simmer and add pepperoni, basil and a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix and cook for 15 minutes. Ladle hot soup into bowls. Top with shredded cheese and enjoy.
Wanda Baker is a busy mom of 2 who blogs about food and adventures in Calgary and beyond.