Of course, we all love having people over. It means we get to choose the music, spoil our friends, and keep all the leftovers (cha-ching!). But in reality, hosting a get-together can ring up quite the hefty bill. That is, if you want to go beyond the chips and dollar store chocolate phase.
There is a solution (and no need to start scouring online for budget-friendly appetizer recipes). We have an easy, beyond delicious recipe for simple, little pita pizzas that are bound to impress, please and feed.
Only a few simple ingredients are needed to make four variations, so your guests are bound to find at least one they love (though we bet they’ll love them all). Or, you can set up the ingredients as a toppings bar, and have guests make their own.
Whole wheat pitas
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Crumbled goat cheese
Cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Red onion, sliced
Potato, boiled and sliced
Antipasta (a small variety of artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and mushrooms)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare the ingredients. Take half of the onions and cook in a Tablespoon of olive oil until caramelized. Then, add about two cups of arugula and cook for one minute.
2. With two baking sheets, place two pitas on each sheet, and use a spoon to spread two teaspoons of olive oil over each pita. (Note: If you only have one baking sheet, just make them in batches.)
3. Lay the ingredients as follows:
One: sauce, mozzarella cheese, cherry tomatoes.
Two: sauce, antipasta, goat cheese
Three: caramelized onions and arugula mix, goat cheese
Four: mozzarella cheese, potato, onion, rosemary, pepper
4. Bake them for 20 minutes, then add the basil to “one” and the chili peppers to pizza “three”.
5. Slice into eighths, and serve hot.