Spring is here, and it’s time to celebrate with this marinated artichoke salad! We know artichokes seem like a lot of work, but the tender baby variety requires a lot less prep. Serve as a side salad for four or a healthy and easy weeknight dinner for two. If you can’t find baby artichokes, swap them for good-quality marinated ones.
Marinated Artichoke Salad with Prosciutto and Parmesan
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 to 4
⅓ cup farro
3 garlic cloves, smashed
1 tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
½ tsp black peppercorns
12 baby artichokes
¼ cup olive oil
1 finger chili, thinly sliced (optional)
4 cups loosely packed arugula
100-g prosciutto, torn into 2-in pieces
2 Tbsp cup mint, roughly torn
¼ cup shaved Parmesan
1. Cook farro according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Transfer to a baking sheet to dry.
2. Juice 3 lemons into a large bowl, reserving 2 tbsp juice. Stir in 4 cups water and set aside.
3. Combine 4 cups water, juice from remaining two lemons, garlic, 1 tsp salt and peppercorns in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Meanwhile, working with one artichoke at a time, cut away the top 1/2-inch of leaves, trim and discard the tough outer leaves, then peel and trim the stem. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise, then transfer to acidulated water.
5. Once all the artichokes have been processed, drain and transfer to the boiling water. Lower heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove artichokes from water and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil, chili (if using) and reserved 2 tbsp lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool to room temperature.
6. To assemble salad, toss farro, arugula and prosciutto together in bowl with artichokes. Season with salt and pepper. Divide between plates and garnish with Parmesan and mint.