This is a favourite meal of ours because it’s quick to pull together and has big flavour thanks to the magical marinade that’s sticky, sweet and salty. Whenever you mix miso, sesame oil and honey, you get pure deliciousness. Here, we slather it all over chicken breasts, but thighs would be just as perfect and much juicier. The glazed carrots are also divine. This is a quick one-pan meal with little mess.
Simple Miso Chicken With Glazed Carrots
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Total Time: 43 minutes
¼ cup white miso
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp rice vinegar
2 Tbsp avocado oil
1 tsp minced ginger
2 carrots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
4 cloves garlic
2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs (about 1 lb), skinless and boneless
¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, roughly chopped (optional)
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients (miso, sesame oil, honey, rice vinegar, avocado oil and ginger).
3. In a wide, oven safe dish, add a splash of extra-virgin olive oil or avocado oil to coat the bottom.
4. Place the carrots and whole garlic on the bottom of the dish and then the chicken on top.
5. Pour the marinade over the chicken and carrots, ensuring the chicken gets the majority of marinade.
6. If the carrots seem too dry, add a splash of avocado oil and make sure they’re coated so they cook well.
7. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes and broil for 2-3 minutes at the end, so the marinade gets bubbly and caramel in colour. Make sure you watch the chicken as it broils because the miso can burn easily.
8. Top with fresh herbs and sesame seeds and serve with brown rice, if you like.