Now this creation is going out to John who always tells me how he grew up on two things: beef and cheese. His mom once made these sandwiches that were made of cheddar cheese, ground beef, and white bread, because that’s all she had on hand. Of course, John and his siblings loved the sandwiches so it became a regular meal.
It’s about time we made a vegan version, but this one is spiced up a little, because we’re adults now!
Ingredients (makes 1 sandwich):
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp olive oil
1 Tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeños
1/2 cup meatless ground round
1/4 tsp chili powder
Pinch sea salt
1/3 of a block, Daiya jalapeño havarti wedge
2 slices sourdough bread
2 tsp vegan butter
1 Tbsp ketchup
1-2 tsp Sriracha
1. In a pan over medium heat, sauté the onion and olive oil for 2 minutes until soft. Add pickled jalapeños, meatless ground round, chili powder and a pinch of sea salt, and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Push this mixture to the side of the pan to make room for the bread.
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread and place one slice, butter side down, into the pan.
3. Place thin slices of jalapeño havarti wedge on the bread, covering it generously. Then scoop the meatless ground round mixture on top. Place the other slice of bread, butter side up, on top of that.
4. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then flip the sandwich carefully and cook for another 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
5. Serve with ketchup mixed with Sriracha for dipping.