Satiate your kids’ need for all things slime with this twist on a poke cake! Dark and delicious devil’s food cake is filled with ooey-gooey neon green slime that is a spooktacular delight for the eyes and the taste buds. Learn how to make this easy, yet eerie cake, just in time for Halloween.
Slime Poke Cake
Courtesy of Christina Frantzis
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 40 min
2 boxes devil’s food cake mix
1 package vanilla pudding mix
3 cups of milk
1/4 tsp green gel food colouring
3/4 cups shortening
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups powdered sugar
2 Tbsp black gel food colouring
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Invert the bottom of two 9” springform pans and line with parchment paper. Assemble pans and set aside.
2. Mix cake batter according to package directions. Divide batter evenly amongst prepared pans and bake on centre rack of oven until a tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, 40 – 45 minutes. Remove cakes to a cooling rack and cool completely, removing outer ring of the pan after 20 minutes.
3. For the slime, combine milk and instant pudding mix and microwave for 3 minutes, stir in green food colouring, and return to microwave for an additional 3 minutes. Allow coloured pudding to cool slightly before placing 1/3 of it in a piping bag.
4. Using the bottom end of a wooden spoon, poke holes through to the bottom of each cake layer.
5. Place the first layer of cake on plate and pipe slime into each hole till it reaches the top of the cake. Spread a thin layer of slime on first cake and top with the second layer. Pipe slime into holes in the top layer of cake.
6. For the frosting, mix shortening with salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Slowly add sugar to shortening beating on low until fully incorporated. Add in black colouring and beat on high until frosting is fluffy about 5 minutes.
7. Frost top and sides of the cake and smooth using an offset spatula. Top cake with reserved slime and spread to edges to drip down the sides.
Looking for more spooky treats? Try our Scary-Good Halloween Cakes and Cupcakes.