Oat milk has been popping up on store shelves and appearing in recipes with greater frequency over the last few years, but it’s one of the easiest and most affordable alternative non-dairy milks to make at home. In fact, it’s no more challenging to whip up than a smoothie. Not to mention, oat milk is also the best non-dairy option for coffee or latte frothing because it’s thicker and therefore doesn’t curdle. Plus, it has a silky smooth taste and is naturally sweet.
We’ve provided a go-to oat milk recipe (read: 3 ingredients) along with 5 flavour variations to make this non-dairy drink a healthy and economical habit. The starch in oats contributes to the magically thick texture that we all love in commercial oat milks, all without hard to pronounce additives. Nut-free, dairy-free, vegan and simple – what’s not to love?
How to Make Oat Milk
Total Time: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
4 cups filtered water
1 cup rolled oats
¼ tsp salt
1. In a high-speed blender, add water, oats and salt. Blend for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until oats are pulverized and mixture is creamy in appearance and texture. Using a fine mesh sieve, strain oat milk into a large bowl, preferably with a pouring spout. Discard oat pulp in the sieve or use to make oatmeal or add to baked goods.
2. Pour strained oat milk into a large glass carafe with a lid or large Mason jars with a lid. Serve chilled. Oat milk will keep for 5 to 7 days. A shake or stir will be required before enjoying each time.
5 Unique Oat Milk Flavours
1. Turmeric-Ginger “Golden” Oat Milk: To the strained oat milk base, blend in 2 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp ground turmeric, ¼ tsp ground dried ginger and a pinch of ground black pepper. Strain again and enjoy chilled. Makes 4 cups.
2. Berry and Vanilla Oat Milk: To the strained oat milk base, blend in ½ cup raspberries or strawberries, 2 Tbsp maple syrup and ½ tsp vanilla bean powder or extract. Strain if desired and enjoy chilled. Makes 4 cups.
3. Date Shake Oat Milk: To the strained oat milk base, blend in 4 very soft pitted medjool dates, 1 Tbsp maple syrup, ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon and ⅛ tsp vanilla extract. No need to strain. Enjoy chilled. Makes 4 cups.
4. Chai Oat Milk: Instead of water in the oat milk base, use the same amount of strongly brewed loose-leaf chai; follow the instructions to complete the base. To the strained oat milk base made with the chai water, blend in 3 Tbsp honey. Enjoy chilled or warm. Makes 4 cups.
5. Salted Chocolate Oat Milk: To the strained oat milk base, blend in 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, 2 Tbsp maple syrup or brown rice syrup, 1/8 tsp instant coffee (optional) and a generous pinch of salt. Strain again and enjoy chilled. Makes 4 cups.
Think beyond your morning coffee and read up on the best non-dairy milks for every use (from baking to straight-up cereal). We’ve also rounded up 25 dairy-free breakfast recipes that will convince you it’s really the best meal of the day.