We’re in the full swing of fall now and hiding away in the kitchen to make some comforting meals is just what you need. Making your own dough doesn’t have to be a hassle either. Try our easy recipe for this sweet potato and kale galette with a flaky coconut oil and rosemary crust. You can even fill it with other seasonal vegetables like butternut squash or finely chopped Brussels sprouts — it’s up to you!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
¼ cup roasted & unsalted pistachio nut meat (can sub roasted almonds or cashews)
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
½ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp ground pepper
5 Tbsp solid coconut oil
2/3 cup cold water
¼ cup all-purpose flour (for rolling dough)
1 sweet potato
2 cups roughly chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
¼ cup thinly sliced white onion
2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp olive oil
1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a coffee grinder, combine the ingredients for the pistachio parmesan and grind into a fine meal. Set aside.
3. Thinly slice the sweet potato and onion with a mandolin. Coat with 2 tsp olive oil and set aside.
4. Massage lemon juice into roughly chopped kale and set aside.
5. To make the crust, blend together 1½ cups all-purpose flour, rosemary, sea salt and ground pepper in a large mixing bowl.
6. Using a pastry blender, cut in coconut oil until the mixture looks like crumbs.
7. Make a well in the middle of flour mixture and add cold water. Fold it only a few times with your hands to mix the dough until it just comes together. Be careful not to over mix.
8. Lay out a large piece of parchment paper onto a flat, dry surface. Dust the parchment paper with some all-purpose flour and place dough on top. Dust a rolling pin with flour as well, and gently roll out the dough to approximately a 15” oval or circle. It doesn’t have to be perfect as this is meant to look rustic. Note: rolling it out on parchment paper makes transferring it to a baking pan much easier.
9. Sprinkle about ¾ of the pistachio parmesan mixture on the entire surface of the dough.
10. Slightly overlap the thinly sliced sweet potatoes in the centre of the dough, leaving a 2” rim of dough all around.
11. Add a little more pistachio parmesan on top, and then add kale, onion slices and remaining thinly sliced sweet potatoes (you might only use ¾ of the sweet potato depending on its size).
12. Fold the 2”-edge of dough over top of the vegetables and pinch together any excess creating a crust.
13. Take 1 Tbsp of olive oil and brush the edges of the crust with it and drizzle any remaining oil on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle remaining pistachio parmesan all over crust and on top.
14. Lift the sides of parchment paper and gently place the galette on a large baking sheet or pizza pan. Bake for 25 minutes.