Empanadas are those wildly popular half-moon shaped pastries seen throughout Latin America, and commonly stuffed with savoury ingredients like seafood, meat and cheese, and that’s just the beginning. These portable pies are the original “hot pockets”, and can also be filled with beautiful seasonal fruit and enjoyed on-the-go.
Strawberry Rhubarb Dessert Empanadas with Quick Salsa
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours (accounts for chill time)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
⅓ cup 2% Greek yogurt or Balkan-style yogurt
2-3 Tbsp ice water
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp water
1 ¼ cups chopped rhubarb, cut in ½-inch pieces
½ cup hulled strawberries, cut in ½-inch pieces
½ cup granulated sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp granulated sugar (optional)
Rhubarb Strawberry Salsa
⅓ cup finely chopped rhubarb
3 strawberries, hulled and finely chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped mint
1 tsp granulated sugar
Kitchen Tip: To freeze your overflowing rhubarb bounty, peel off excess tough fibres and trim the ends. Wash, dry and cut in 1-inch pieces and freeze on a tray. Store in small resealable freezer bags, removing excess air for up to 6 months, and enjoy the blushing fruit throughout the year.
1. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt. Add butter; using hands, rub together until coarse crumbs form. Stir in yogurt and cold water until ragged dough forms.
2. Transfer to a floured surface; gather and lightly knead into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and flatten into disc. Refrigerate until firm, 1 hour or up to 2 days.
3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness. Using a 5-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 10 rounds, re-rolling scraps. Refrigerate until firm, if needed.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In a bowl, toss rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and cornstarch until combined.
2. Spoon 2 rounded Tbsp of the rhubarb mixture onto centre of each round. Fold dough over the filling to form a half moon, starting at pointed edges, pressing well to seal.
3. Crimp edge with a fork; return to prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
4. Cut steam vents on top of each pie. Whisk together egg and water to make egg wash; brush over empanada and sprinkle with sugar (if using).
5. Bake until puffed up and golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
Rhubarb Strawberry Salsa
Meanwhile, stir together rhubarb, strawberries, mint and sugar in a small bowl. Serve with empanadas.
Kitchen Tip: Don’t worry if the filling bubbles out during the cooking process, it’s the nature of fruit pies to generously drip out, and it’s a good indicator that the thickener is thoroughly cooked.
Strawberry and rhubarb are an unbeatable summer duo, and these 20 Spectacular Strawberry Rhubarb Desserts are here to prove it.