6-Minute Egg on Creamy Polenta with Crispy Serrano Ham
- prep time30 min
- total time 150 min
- serves 4
Chuck whips up a picture perfect soft boiled egg atop creamy polenta and crisp Serrano ham.
8 slices Serrano hamEggs
2 bunch kale
1 Tbsp of butter (15 ml)
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepperSoft Polenta
2 cup chicken stock (500 ml)
2 cup milk (500 ml)
3 sprig cilantro
2 clove garlic
1 cup of corn meal (250 ml)
1 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese (250 ml)
Salt and pepperNote
1. Preheat oven at 180C (350 F).
2. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, arrange the slices of Serrano ham and cover them with another piece of parchment paper and another baking tray on top. This technique will ensure the Serrano stays flat while it cooks. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oven and set aside on paper towel.Eggs
1. In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil and drop in the eggs for 6 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon, run under cold water to shock the eggs and reserve. Before serving, rattle them around to crack the shell and peel them.
2. In the same saucepan containing boiling water, cook the kale for 1 minute. Drain and reserve in an ice bath.
3. In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Squeeze out the excess liquid from the kale with your hands and chop it in half. Sauté the kale with lemon juice for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.Soft Polenta
1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the stock and milk. Add the cilantro and garlic and bring to a boil. Let simmer on medium heat for 2 minutes to flavor the mixture. Remove the cilantro and garlic. Whisk in the corn meal and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often with a wooden spoon until the grains are soft. Fold in the Asiago cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm and covered.
2. Place a large spoon of polenta on each plate. Top with the kale, a soft boiled egg and garnish with more grated Asiago cheese and 2 slices of Serrano ham. Serve immediately.Note
1. The polenta can be made ahead and reheated: add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water or stock, cover the dish, and reheat in the microwave or over low heat. Whisk well before serving. Grate a dusting of Parmesan or other favored cheese over the top just before serving.