Almond Butter Thumbprint Cookies
- serves 24
These beautiful cookies are made with ground almonds and features a little dollop of jam in the centre.
½ cup (115 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅓ cup (70 g) granulated sugar
⅓ cup (70 g) packed light brown sugar
2 large egg yolks
½ cup (125 g) pure almond butter, well-stirred
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups (210 mL) ground almonds
⅓ cup (40 g) tapioca starch
1 tsp (3 g) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 g) salt
½ cup (125 mL) jam (any flavor)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC). Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugars by hand in a large mixing bowl until well-combined. Add the egg yolks and beat in. Add the almond butter and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, stir the ground almonds, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt together and this to the almond butter mixture, stirring until blended.
4. Use a small ice cream scoop to portion the cookie dough and then shape into a ball with your hands. Place the cookies onto the prepared baking trays, leaving 2-inches (5 cm) between them. Use your thumb or knuckle to press an indentation into the centre of each cookie. Bake the cookies for about 12 minutes, until they just begin to brown at the edges. You may notice the centre depression in each cookie has puffed up a little – immediately from the oven, press the centre down again (using the back of a round measuring spoon, since the cookies will be hot!) Let the cookies cool completely on the baking tray.
5. Stir the jam to loosen and spoon a little into the centre of each cookie. Let the cookies sit out for a few hours to dry the jam, and then store them in an airtight container.
The cookies will keep up to 5 days in an airtight container.