¼ cup (50 mL) olive oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) garlic powder
¼ tsp (1 mL) onion powder
¼ tsp (1 mL) black pepper
⅔ cup (150 mL) almond flour (ground almonds)
¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
3 medium Chinese eggplants, sliced diagonally
olive oil cooking spray (or olive oil in an oil spritzer)
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Line a heavy, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In shallow bowl, whisk together olive oil, toasted sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, basil, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper until emulsified.
3. In another bowl, mix almond flour and salt.
4. Slice eggplant into ¼-inch slices.
5. Dip eggplant slices into oil mixture, then into almond flour mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet.
6. Spritz slices with cooking spray.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, then flip slices and spritz again. Bake for another 15 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
8. Serve with your favourite marinara sauce.