Almond-Crusted Steelhead Trout
- serves 2
Two steelhead trout fillets served with lobster tortellini garnished with crispy ham and a butter and herb emulsion.
Courtesy of Chef Paul Moran for the Hawksworth Young Chefs' Scholarship.
2 150 g trout fillets
20 g almonds
60 g cured ham
1 whole Atlantic lobster
50 g fresh fennel
100 g fresh hearts of palm
150 g butter
25 mL white wine vinegar
5 g mixed herbs, chopped
20 mL olive oil
200 g flour
1. Prepare a pasta dough recipe and incorporate with raw lobster coral. Blanch, shell and chop lobster tail and mix with fennel and butter. Form tortellinis and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Prepare a variety of fresh garden herbs and chop finely. Emulsify a high quality wine vinegar with butter and herbs, keep in a warm but not hot area of stovetop.
3. Shave fennel and fresh hearts of Palm on a Japanese mandolin. Mix in a bowl with lime zest and juice, salt, olive oil and chopped toasted almonds.
4. Thinly slice ham and gently fry in olive oil and butter until completely dry; set aside once crisp.
5. Finally coat trout fillet with finely grated almonds, salt and pepper. Cook in a non-aggressive manner in a non-stick pan skin side down. Turn fish very briefly once it has reached blood temperature.
6. Arrange all of the components naturally on a hot plate and serve.