Anna Olson's Tarte au Citron
- serves 8 - 10
A delicate pastry crust serves as the base for a delectable lemon curd filling. Incredible!
Makes 1 9-inch tart
You might also like these Top Lemon Desserts from Anna Olson.
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp icing sugar, sifted
1 hard boiled large egg yolk
1 large egg yolk
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup cake and pastry flour, sifted
¼ tsp saltLemon Curd Filling
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
¾ cup sugar
1 Tbsp lemon zest
⅔ cup fresh lemon juice
⅔ cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
½ cup full fat sour cream
1. Beat the butter and icing sugar together until smooth.
2. Push the hard boiled egg yolk through a sieve and stir the raw egg yolk and vanilla into it. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until blended.
3. Add the flour and salt to the butter mixture and stir until blended. Shape the dough into a disc (it will be very soft), wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
4. On a lightly floured work surface, gently knead the dough just a little soften, then roll it out to a circle about 12 inches across and ¼-inch thick. Carefully lift this and line a 9-inch removable-bottom fluted tart pan, press it into the bottom and sides and trim away any excess dough. Chill the tart shell for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Place the chilled tart shell onto a baking tray and dock the bottom of the pastry with a fork. Bake the tart shell for about 20 minutes, until the edges just begin to brown. Cool the tart shell to room temperature.Lemon Curd Filling
1. For the filling, whisk the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice together in a metal bowl and place this over a pot of gently simmering water. After a minute, add the butter and continue to whisk until the curd has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the curd from the heat, strain and whisk in the sour cream. Pour the warm curd into the cooled tart shell and chill, uncovered, until set, about 2 hours.