- prep time30 min
- total time 65 min
- serves 8
Put a twist on the tradition French dessert by filling this clafouti with apricots and lemon zest. Top with a dollop of lemon-vanilla whipped cream.
Unsalted butter, for greasing the pie plate
2 large eggs, separated
⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp kosher salt
2 cans 15.25 ounce cans apricots, drained and gently rinsed
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Lemon-Vanilla Whipped Cream, for topping, optionalLemon-Vanilla Whipped Cream
1 ½ cups heavy cream, chilled
2 Tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp grated lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter a 9 to 10-inch shallow pie plate.
2. Combine the egg yolks and 1/3 cup of the sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until ribbons form when you lift the beater just slightly out of the batter, about 3 minutes. Add the flour, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Reduce the speed to low and beat until thoroughly blended, stopping the mixer occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
3. Slide the prepared pie plate into the oven to preheat for 4 to 5 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together the egg whites and salt in a small bowl for 30 seconds; add to the batter and beat with the mixer on low speed until just incorporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Combine the apricots, lemon zest and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl, and gently stir until the apricots are thoroughly coated. Remove the pie plate from the oven, pour in the apricots in a decorative pattern, and top with the batter.
4. Bake until set in the middle, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve warm with a small dollop of the whipped cream, if using.Lemon-Vanilla Whipped Cream
1. Add the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and lemon zest to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Whip just until soft peaks form.