Asian Marinated Quail
- prep time10 min
- total time 22 min
- serves 4
Courtesy of Chef Makoto Ono of PiDGin.
4 whole quails
½ cup local honey
½ cup sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 clove garlic, finely chopped
10 g ginger, finely chopped
½ tsp chili flakes
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine honey and sugar, and cook for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
2. Add remaining ingredients and remove from heat. Cool marinade to room temperature.
3. With kitchen shears, cut quails along both sides of backbone and split birds in half. Marinate quails in marinade for 1 hour.
4. Dry quails with paper towel and sear for 90 seconds in oiled pan over medium heat, until brown. Remove from pan and drain excess oil.
5. Place quails back in pan and brush tops with marinade. Bake for 5 minutes in a preheated 450ºF oven. Remove from oven and let rest for approximately 5 minutes.
6. Serve quails over lightly sautéed kale.