Bacon and Cheese Cornbread
- serves 9
Give an edge to ordinary cornbread by adding crumbled bacon and Monterey Jack cheese!
¾ cup all-purpose flour (175 ml)
1 cup cornmeal (250 ml)
1 Tbsp baking powder (15 ml)
1 Tbsp sugar (15 ml)
6 1 oz slices bacon, cooked until crisp, drained and crumbled (170 g)
3 Tbsp finely chopped chives (45 ml)
½ tsp salt (2 ml)
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese (250 ml)
1 cup homogenized milk (250 ml)
2 large eggs
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled (60 ml)
1. Preheat an oven to 400°F. Butter an 8 inch (20cm) square baking pan.
2. In a bowl toss together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, bacon, chives, salt and cheese.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and butter.
4. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a skewer comes clean out of the centre.
6. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan before turning out. The cornbread can be eaten either hot or at room temperature.