Bacon Salad with Crispy Onions
- serves 4 - 6
Courtesy of Bonnie Mo.
8 thick slices bacon
3 Tbsp (45 mL) cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
lots of freshly ground pepperSalad
½ head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced or chopped
1 - 2 carrots, shredded
a few radishes, shredded
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped
1 pint (500 mL) cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup (250 mL) canned crispy fried onions
1. Begin the dressing by slowly and patiently browning and crisping the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat. Take your time, and you’ll be rewarded with magnificent bacon crisps and lots of rendered fat.
2. Drain the bacon on paper towels, reserving the fat.
3. In a festive salad bowl, whisk together up to 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the bacon fat (save the rest to flavour something else), vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper.
4. Add the lettuce, carrots, radishes, green onions, parsley, and tomatoes. You may make the salad to this point an hour or two ahead.
5. Cover and chill.Salad
1. Just before serving, toss everything together, evenly mixing the flavours, textures and colours.
2. Top with crispy onions and artfully arranged bacon slices. Serve and share!