Baked Oyster Rockefeller, Raw Oyster Mignonette and Frites with Rosemary Lemon Mayonnaise
- serves 4
1 10 oz bag of spinach, washed
1 tsp butter
1 Tbsp butter, divided
6 slices bcaon, diced
1 shallot, finely diced
¼ cup white wine
1 cup heavy cream
pinch of nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp Pernod (optional)
1 egg yolk
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
5 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 cup Kosher salt for baking and serving (about 3 lbs)
16 oysters, scrubbed
5 Tbsp breadcrumbsRaw Oyster Mignonette
½ cup red wine
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp minced shallots
tsp freshly ground black pepper
16 oysters, scrubbed and shucked, left on the half shell
¼ cup chopped fresh chivesFrites
1 -20/10 cup vegetable oil for frying
2 lb(s) Idaho, russet baking potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes
saltRosemary Lemon Mayonnaise
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp finely chopped rosemary
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1. To shuck oysters, using towel, hold oyster flat on work surface, flat shell up. Insert tip of oyster knife into hinge and twist to open shell. Slide knife along inside of upper shell to free oyster from shell; discard upper shell. Slide knife under oyster to free from lower shell; leave in shell. Repeat with remaining oysters
2. In a large skillet, heat 1 tsp butter over medium heat. Add spinach and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until spinach has wilted. Drain spinach, squeezing out extra liquid, and coarsely chop. Set aside.
3. In a separate medium skillet, sauté bacon over medium heat, 5-6 minutes, or until fat has rendered. Remove all bacon and extra fat except for 1 tbsp bacon fat from the pan. Reserve bacon.
4. Add 1 tbsp butter to remaining bacon fat and melt. Add shallot and sweat 3-4 minutes, or until translucent. Add white wine to deglaze the pan and stir until pan is almost dry, 2-3 minutes.
5. Add cream, nutmeg and black pepper. Allow liquid to reduce by half, approximately 3 minutes. Add Pernod, if using. Remove from heat.
6. Add wilted spinach to cream mixture and season to taste with pepper. Add egg yolk and ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
7. Preheat oven to 400 F.
8. To assemble oysters, spread 5 cups kosher salt in a large shallow baking pan. Nestle oysters in their shell in the salt. Spoon spinach mixture evenly over oysters, and top each oyster with 1 tsp breadcrumbs, and 1 tsp Parmesan cheese. Bake oysters in preheated oven for 5-6 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden.
9. As oysters come out of the oven, sprinkle each with reserved bacon. Serve warm oysters in shells, nestled in remaining kosher salt (about 5 cups), on a platter.Raw Oyster Mignonette
1. For mignonette, in a medium bowl, mix red wine, red wine vinegar, shallots, and pepper.
2. Place oysters on a large serving tray. Divide mignonette among oysters. Garnish with fresh chopped chives.Frites
1. Cut the potatoes into 1/3 inch matchsticks. Soak in cold water for 10 minutes. Dry all the pieces thoroughly with a clean dishtowel to prevent oil from splattering.
2. Pour enough oil into a large heavy bottomed pot to reach at least halfway up the sides of the pot. Heat the oil to 360 F.
3. When the oil has reached the desired temperature, fry the potatoes, in batches, for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining potatoes.Rosemary Lemon Mayonnaise
1. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients to combine.