BBQ Popcorn Cakes
- serves 8
The BBQ spiced popcorn clusters have a nice kick to them. Great for parties and family get-togethers.
8 cup hot plain popcorn (see cooking methods)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
¼ tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp onion salt
¼ tsp dry mustard
2 Tbsp water
½ cup sugar
¼ cup corn syrup
1 Tbsp butter
A few drops hot pepper sauce (to taste)
1. Place the popcorn in a large bowl, removing any unpopped kernels. Transfer to a warm oven.
2. In a small bowl, combine the spices. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the water, sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 143°C (290°F). Remove from the heat. Drizzle over the hot popcorn while stirring to coat well. Working quickly, use a spoon or measuring cup to remove about 250 ml (1 cup) of popcorn and gently press it into a 10-cm (4-inch) round cookie cutter. Repeat with the remaining popcorn. If the popcorn in the bowl becomes too cool, microwave it for a few seconds. Let the cakes cool for 30 minutes.
4. When forming the cakes, wear latex gloves to avoid burning yourself with the hot caramel.
5. Cooking methods for popcorn (same as for Caramel Popcorn Cakes) For 2 litres (8 cups) popcorn: Use an 81-g bag of microwave popcorn and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Or In a large covered saucepan, pop 75 ml (1/3 cup) popcorn kernels in 45 ml (3 tablespoons) vegetable or olive oil over high heat, shaking the pan from time to time. When the corn has finished popping, transfer to a large bowl. Or Place 75 ml (1/3 cup) popcorn kernels in a large microwavable glass bowl. Cover the bowl with a plate. Microwave on high for about 5 minutes (depending on the oven’s power rating).