BBQ Salmon on a Plank with Fruit Salsa and Pita Chips
- serves 4
This recipe is part of a specially-designed weekly meal plan. For a grocery list and other great recipes you can make in this meal plan, please click to the episode title above.
Untreated cedar plank
900 g salmon filets (boneless, skinless)
1 tsp coarse salt (or kosher)
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning
1 tsp rosemary leaves
¼ cup grainy Dijon mustard
2 – 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Squirt bottle of water
unsweetened apple juice
Squeeze of lemon juiceBaked Pita Chips
4 – 6 whole-wheat pita pockets (8”)
Cinnamon, sugarFruit Salsa
2 Granny Smith apples
1 cup strawberries
1 Kiwi fruit
Juice from 1 orange
Zest from 1 orange
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp apple or grape jelly
1. The night before:
2. Soak plank in water until you are ready to cook with it.
3. Preheat BBQ at low until it reaches 350 F.
4. Place apple juice in a stove-top pot. Add a squeeze of lemon juice. Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat to medium for a gentle boil.
5. Rinse and dry salmon thoroughly.
6. On one side only rub salmon with the following: Salt, Mrs. Dash Original Seasoning, rosemary, grainy Dijon mustard and a light sprinkle of brown sugar.
7. Place the presoaked plank on the grill. Close the lid for a few minutes and keep checking until you see smoke.
8. Turn the plank over and place the salmon, rub side up, on top of the plank. (Squirt the edges of the board if they catch on fire. You will have to keep lifting the lid to check.)
9. The salmon will be ready when it flakes off easily with a fork. (Approximately 10 – 15 minutes.)
10. Remove the apple juice from heat once it is reduced to about half.
11. Spoon the reduced apple juice directly on the plates and place the cooked salmon over top.
12. Serve with fruit salsa and pita chips.Baked Pita Chips
1. Preheat oven to 250 F
2. Spray pita pockets with cooking spray (or spritz with water).
3. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and cut into small triangles.
4. Set timer for 8 to 10 minutes.Fruit Salsa
1. Chop fruit finely and add to bowl as you cut.
2. Add juice, zest, brown sugar and jelly.
3. Toss to coat and let stand in fridge.