Beer Glazed Grilled Bratwurst with Wilted Red Cabbage Slaw
- prep time10 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 8
Cooked with spices, onions and German beer, these sausages are served up beautifully alongside red cabbage slaw.
2 lb(s) precooked bratwurst, pricked with fork
6 cups German beer
2 Tbsp caraway seeds
2 Tbsp coriander seeds
2 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 onions, sliced
1 (6-inch) hand ginger, sliced into rough coins
2 Tbsp canola oil
½ head red cabbage, thinly sliced
4 Tbsp honey
¼ cup cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup Dijon mustard
8 soft hoagie rolls
1. Put the bratwurst, beer, 1 cup water, the caraway, coriander, mustard seeds, onions and ginger in a medium stockpot. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes. Cover, remove from the heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
2. Transfer the brats to a bowl. Strain the cooking liquid into another bowl, and discard the solids.
3. Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, add the cabbage and toss to coat. Add 1 cup of the strained bratwurst liquid, and cook until softened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the honey, the vinegar and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat, and cook another 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
4. Preheat the grill to high, with direct and indirect heat. Grill the sausages over direct heat until the casings are crisp and golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes per side. Move the brats to indirect heat, cover the grill, and cook another 5 minutes.
5. While the brats cook, whisk the mustard, the remaining 2 tablespoons honey, some salt and pepper and a few tablespoons of the bratwurst liquid in a small bowl; the mixture should be syrupy. When the sausage are done, remove them to a platter and brush with the glaze.
6. Split the hoagie rolls and grill cut-side down until toasted, about 30 seconds. Put a brat in each roll and top with some cabbage, then serve.