Best Ever Green Bean Casserole
- prep time25 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 4 - 6
Complete with mushrooms, fresh green beans, onion, garlic and a crispy breadcrumb topping, Alton's casserole is sure to be a winner.
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp panko bread crumbs
1 tsp kosher salt
Nonstick cooking sprayFor beans and sauce
1 tsp kosher salt, divided
1 lb(s) green beans, rinsed, trimmed and halved
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
12 oz mushrooms, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half
1. Preheat the oven to 475ºF.
2. Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine. Coat a sheet pan with nonstick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan. Place the pan on the middle rack of the oven and bake until golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Toss the onions 2 to 3 times during cooking. Once done, remove from the oven and set aside until ready to use. Turn the oven down to 400ºF.For beans and sauce
1. While the onions are cooking, prepare the beans. Bring a gallon of water and 2 tablespoons of salt to a boil in an 8-quart saucepan. Add the beans and blanch for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and immediately plunge the beans into a large bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to give up some of their liquid, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and nutmeg and continue to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Add the broth and simmer for 1 minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half. Cook until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onions and all of the green beans. Top with the remaining onions. Place into the oven and bake until bubbly, approximately 15 minutes. Remove and serve immediately.