- prep time1 min
- total time 15 min
- serves 12
Eating delicious buttermilk and blueberry scones is the perfect way to start the day.
2 ¼ cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
2 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup cold butter, cubed
½ cup dried blueberries
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg, lightly, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC)
2. In large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in blueberries.
3. Add buttermilk to mixture all at once, stirring with fork to make soft, slightly sticky dough.
4. With lightly floured hands, press dough into ball. On lightly floured surface, knead gently 10 times.
5. Gently pat out dough into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick round.
6. Using a 2 1/2-inch (6 cm) floured cutter, cut out rounds. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Gather up scraps and repat dough once; cut out more rounds.
7. Brush tops of scones with egg. Bake in oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool on racks.
8. Variation: Cheese and Herb: