Braised Short Ribs on Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Green Beans and Poached Tomatoes
- prep time20 min
- total time 235 min
- serves 4-6
So delicious, you'll want to lick the bowl clean.
3 large onions, roughly chopped
3 - 4 stalks celery, roughly chopped
4 large carrots, peeled, trimmed and chopped in 2 inch chunks
3 heads garlic cut in half
2 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
2 Tbsp canola oil
6 beef short ribs
1 cup flour
3 large beets, peeled and quartered
2 750 mL bottles red table wine
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
A generous pinch coarse salt
Black pepper, freshly groundGarlic Mashed Potatoes
1 head garlic
1 Tbsp good, fruity olive oil
Several pinches of coarse salt
Fresh ground black pepper
A sprig or 2 of fresh herbs (rosemary or thyme)
6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, and
1/3 - 1/2 cup butter
1 cup creamGreen Beans
5 handfuls of small green beans (petits haricots verts)
1 large shallot, julienned
2 Tbsp butterOil-Poached Cherry Tomatoes on
4 vine stems of cherry tomatoes
1- 2 cups good olive oil – needs to barely cover tomatoes in
A pinch coarse salt
2 sprigs of fresh herbs
½ head garlic, sliced in half
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (177 C)
2. Prepare all vegetables and place in large bowl. Add herbs and spices, set aside.
3. Cut ribs between the bones, and trim all excess outer fat.
4. Season ribs well with coarse salt. Dredge in flour till well coated.
5. In a large dutch oven or wide soup pot, pour in oil to coat bottom of pan. On high heat, sear the ribs so they are browned well on all sides (about 3 min per side). Set aside.
6. In same pan, transfer all vegetables from the bowl, and stir to caramelize and pick up all the brown bits.
7. Add meat back into pot. Pour wine over. Ensure all is covered and if not, top up with water.
8. Sprinkle on Cocoa powder and brown sugar, bring to a boil, cover with a lid or foil, and place in oven till meat is fork tender. (About 3 hours)
9. Remove ribs to a platter and strain out the solids to use for something else.
10. Boil the cooking liquid in a wide shallow pan till it is reduced by half. It will be richer, more flavourful and thicker. Add a nub of butter at the end for sheen and flavour.
11. Serve on a mound of Garlic Mashed Potatoes, topped with green beans and poached vine tomatoes. See recipes below.Garlic Mashed Potatoes
1. Slice the top off a garlic head, drizzle with olive oil.
2. Sprinkle with salt, grind over some pepper and sprinkle on the herbs.
3. Wrap in a tin foil packet and roast in the oven for about 1 hour.
4. In a large saucepan, fill with water, and add a few good pinches of coarse salt and potatoes.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until just fork tender. Do not overcook or potatoes will be soggy.
6. Drain off the water, leaving potatoes in pot.
7. Add butter, and cream to potatoes and mash well.
8. Remove garlic from oven. Squeeze the garlic cloves into the potatoes. Stir in. The consistency you want is rough, with some lumps.
9. Season with salt and pepper if required.Green Beans
1. Trim only the stem ends off the beans
2. Blanche beans in a pot of salted water for about 20 seconds.
3. Drain and immerse in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Drain on a towel. Beans should be original green in colour and crunchy to the bite.
4. Slice shallot into fine julienne.
5. In a large saute pan, on high heat, add butter and shallot. Stir to soften. Add beans and toss to warm through. Season with salt and black pepper if required.
6. Serve a little mound of beans on top of the beef short rib. Top with a poached stem of tomatoes.Oil-Poached Cherry Tomatoes on
1. In a large saute pan add about 2 inches (5 cm) of olive oil. Bring to about 325 degrees F – just below frying temperature.
2. Season with salt, herbs and toss in the garlic.
3. Carefully place tomatoes, and poach until they swell up and almost burst. (About 3 - 4 minutes)
4. Use to garnish the beef short ribs.