Brandade Cakes with Caramelized Peppers and Tomatoes
- serves 6
4 coloured peppers
2 handful cherry tomatoes
1 heads garlic cloves, sliced
¼ cup olive oil
1 pinch Salt and pepperBrandade Cakes
600 g salt cod, desalted* and cut into large pieces (1 pound, 5 oz)
2 large potatoes, sliced
6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1 bay leaf
1 thyme sprig
3 parsley stems
¼ cup cream
½ tsp espelette pepper or hot paprika
1 handful chopped parsley leaves
1 handful chopped chives
1 pinch Salt and pepper
Peanut or grapeseed oil, for frying
Flour or panko for dredging
1. Heat the oven to 300°F/150°C. Seed the peppers and cut into thin fingers. Toss the peppers and tomatoes with the garlic, salt and pepper, and spread on a baking dish. Pour over the olive oil and bake to confit, about three hours. Set aside.Brandade Cakes
1. Put the cod, potatoes, and garlic in a pot. Tie the bay leaf, thyme sprig, and parsley stems with string and add. Cover, just, with cold water and bring to a bare simmer. Poach until the potatoes and cod are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Discard the herbs. Separate the cod from the potatoes. Mash the potatoes with the cream. Shred the cod finely. Then combine the two again, mixing until creamy. Stir through the piment d’espelette and the chopped fresh herbs. Check the seasonings.
3. Pour an inch/2.5 cm of cooking oil into a skillet and heat until sizzling. Shape the cod and potato mixture into small cakes. Just before frying, dip them in flour or panko to coat. Fry on both sides until very brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
4. For the plate: Top a brandade cake with a few caramelized peppers and tomatoes. Enjoy!