Brownies with Espresso Coffee
- prep time20 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 6
Deliciously dense brownies with a kick of espresso, is the afternoon snack you've been looking for.
¾ cup all purpose flour, sifted (180 ml)
¼ cup cocoa, sifted (60 ml)
¼ tsp salt (1 ml)
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (170 g)
¾ cup unsalted butter, cut in cubes (180 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
Vanilla ice cream
6 cup espresso coffee (2 Tbsp/15 ml)
1. Place rack in centre of oven. Pre-heat oven at 325 °F (170 °C)
2. Cover bottom of an 8" (20 cm) square cake tin with parchment and butter sides.
3. In a bowl, mix flour, cocoa and salt. Set aside.
4. In a double-boiler, melt chocolate and butter. Remove bowl from double-boiler. Incorporate sugar with whisk. Add eggs one at a time and beat for two minutes. With a wooden spoon, fold in dry ingredients. Pour batter in cake tin and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the centre is firm but moist.
5. Let cool in tin approximately 4 hours. Turn out of tin and cut into pieces.
6. Adult's version: Place one brownie piece in a glass cup. Garnish with a scoop of ice cream and add the espresso.
7. Children's version: Place one brownie piece on a plate and garnish with a scoop of ice cream.