- prep time1 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 8
Try this classic creamy Indian dish with a blend of authentic spices.
2 cup full fat plain yoghurt
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1 inch piece ginger, root, minced
1 Tbsp lime, juice
2 tsp mild paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp coriander
tsp mild curry paste
2 tsp garam masala
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp salt
2 3 lb(s) air-chilled chickenButter Sauce
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp mild paprika
2 tsp mild curry paste
1 ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasura methi, (dried fenugreek leaves)
½ tsp crushed fenugreek seeds
1 28 oz can plum tomato
¾ cup whipping cream
⅓ cup cold butter, cubed
chopped fresh coriander
1. Scrape yogurt into cheesecloth-lined sieve set over bowl; let drain in refrigerator for 1 hour.
2. Discard clear liquid and place drained yogurt in large bowl. Add garlic, ginger, lime juice, paprika, cumin, coriander, garam masala, cayenne and salt; stir to combine.
3. Meanwhile, remove backbone and wing tips from chickens; press to flatten.
4. Pat dry.
5. Place in 2 large shallow glass dishes.
6. Pour yogurt mixture over top; turn to coat.
7. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 24 hours.
8. Transfer chickens, skin side up, to rack in large shallow roasting pan.
9. Spoon marinade over chickens.
10. Roast in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 1 hour or until juices run clear when thigh is pierced with knife. (Or bake, in 400°F (200°C) convection oven for 45 minutes.)
11. Tent with foil; let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.Butter Sauce
1. Meanwhile, in large skillet or shallow Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, paprika, garam masala and kasura methi for 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
2. Add tomatoes, mashing with fork to form smooth paste; boil gently for about 10 minutes or until thickened.
3. Let cool slightly.
4. Purée sauce in food processor or blender. (Make-Ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Rewarm before using.)
5. Return puréed sauce to skillet; blend in cream.
6. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, cooking just long enough to melt last cube.
7. Pour in serving dish and serve with chicken.