- serves 6
Serve up some warm cabbage rolls, filled with ground bacon and pork, rice, onion, salt and pepper and, of course, cabbage.
Equipment: Dutch oven (optional).
Courtesy of Katherina Koper of Skinnytato
1 ½ cup rice
3 cup waterCabbage Rolls
½ cup water
1 large whole head cabbage
1 Tbsp cooking oil
2 large onions, chopped
½ lb(s) ground bacon
½ lb(s) ground pork
salt and pepper
1. In a medium sized pot, combine rice and water. Bring water to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed.Cabbage Rolls
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Fill a pot with water; place on stove and bring to boil over high heat.
3. With a sharp knife careful cut the core out of cabbage. Place the cabbage head in boiling water and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to overcook. Remove from heat, strain, and set aside for a few minutes.
4. Once cabbage leaves have cooled, cut away the thick centre stem from each leaf. Arrange cabbage leaves on cutting board or cooking surface and set aside until filling is prepared.
5. Add oil to a frying pan. Warm over medium heat and add onion; stir and cook.
6. Once the onion is transparent, remove from heat and let cool.
7. In a mixing bowl, combine onions, pork, bacon, rice, Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Using hands work mixture over until even.
8. Place a hand full of meat on each cabbage leaf. Roll leaves away from you to encase the meat filling.
9. Place the cabbage rolls in casserole dish or Dutch oven. Cook in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour until cabbage is tender and meat is cooked.
10. Serve with tomato sauce or mushrooms sauce.