- prep time90 min
- total time 90 min
- serves 6
Homemade potato chips seasoned with a cacciatore-inspired rub.
2 tsp ground fennel seed, toasted
1 ½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sweet smoked paprikaChips
1 lb(s) russet potatoes, sliced thin on a mandoline
1 tsp kosher salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
1. Mix together the ground fennel, salt, onion powder, oregano and paprika in a small bowl. Set aside.Chips
1. Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 3 minutes. Drain well and cover with fresh cold water. Season with the salt and let sit for at least 1 hour or up to overnight at room temperature.
2. Heat 2 inches oil in a large Dutch oven to 350ºF. Line a tray with paper towels and set aside.
3. Drain the chips well and dry very well with paper towels. Working in batches, fry the chips until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove the fried potatoes to the lined tray and season with a pinch of the cacciatore rub. Transfer to a large bowl. Continue with the remaining chips, seasoning and adding to the bowl as you go.
4. Toss the potatoes well to coat and serve.
Special equipment: a mandoline; a deep-frying thermometer