Caesar Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon
- prep time60 min
- total time 60 min
- serves 6
A hearty salad with smoky bacon, eggs, blue cheese, and a creamy Caesar dressing.
6 thick-cut slices applewood-smoked bacon
6 extra-large eggs
12 (1/2"-thick) diagonally cut slices of baguette
Good olive oil
1 large garlic clove, cut in half
1 lb(s) hearts of romaine lettuce, washed and spun dry
8 oz good Roquefort cheese, cut in shards
Caesar Salad Dressing (recipe follows)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepperCaesar Salad Dressing
1 extra-large egg yolk, at room temperature
2 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp chopped garlic (2 cloves)
8 - 10 anchovy fillets (optional)
½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 ½ cups good olive oil
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
2. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on a baking rack set on a sheet pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and, when cool enough to handle, cut in large pieces. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a large saucepan and cover them with cold tap water. Bring the water to a boil, turn off the heat and allow them to sit for exactly 3 1/2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the eggs from the saucepan and immediately place them in a bowl of cold water for exactly 2 minutes. Peel the eggs and slice them in half lengthwise.
4. Arrange the bread slices on a sheet pan and brush the tops with olive oil. Toast in the oven along with the bacon for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for one minute, then rub each toast with the cut side of the garlic clove. Set aside.
5. Place the lettuce leaves on a rectangular platter and arrange the bacon pieces over the lettuce. Place the blue cheese shards on top and then the halves of soft-boiled eggs. Drizzle with the dressing, sprinkle with salt and pepper and place the garlic toasts over the top. Serve at room temperature with extra dressing on the side.Caesar Salad Dressing
1. Place the egg yolk, mustard, garlic, anchovies (if using), lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube and process until thick. Add the Parmesan and pulse 3 times to combine.
Consumption of raw or undercooked eggs, shellfish and meat may increase the risk of foodborne illness.
"Make it Ahead" by Ina Garten © Clarkson Potter 2014. Provided courtesy of Ina Garten. All rights reserved.