Camarones Fritos (Fried Shrimp)
- prep time10 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4 - 6
Courtesy of David Garcia of La Camaronera.
2 lb(s) uncooked wild shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
3 cups ketchup
1 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp cumin
1 Tbsp granulated garlic
1 Tbsp salt
1 cup lime juice
all-purpose flour, for dredging
100% pure soy bean oil, for frying
1. Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot to 350ºF.
2. To make the marinade, stir together ketchup, black pepper, cumin, garlic, salt, lime juice, and 1 cup of water in a medium bowl.
3. Fill a second medium bowl with flour, for dredging.
4. Drop the shrimp, one by one, into the marinade then dredge shrimp in the flour, to cover.
5. Place shrimp in the fryer; cook for 2 minutes, remove and drain. Repeat for additional shrimp and serve.