Caplansky's Smoked Meatloaf
- serves 8-10
Equipment needed: smoker (not required), 2 standard bread molds, wax paper to line bread pan
Courtesy of Zane Caplansky of Caplansky's Deli
2 Tbsp oil
6 medium onions, diced
10 clove garlic, minced
5 lb(s) ground beef
1 lb(s) smoked meat, finely chopped
1 Tbsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 Tbsp rosemary, chopped
1 Tbsp thyme, chopped
½ L bread crumbs
12 dash Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp salt
750 mL can crushed tomatoes
500 mL ketchup
2 Tbsp vinegar (apple cider if available)
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp salt
12 dash hot sauce (tabasco, Sriracha or similar) for sauce
1. Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Sauté 4 onions and 4 garlic cloves in a saucepan with 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
3. Cook until pale white just before it turns golden brown. Reserve the rest of the onions and garlic for the BBQ sauce.
4. Set aside and let cool.
5. To create meatloaf mix all ingredients except oil, crushed tomatoes, ketchup, salt and hot sauce together in a bowl.
6. Place meatloaf in two wax paper lined loaf pans and cook for 3 hours.
7. In a medium sauce pot, sauté remainder of onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil until pale white - not quite golden brown.
8. Combine and add crushed tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, molasses, salt and hot sauce into a pot. Bring to a simmer and place cover slightly askew. Reduce heat to low.
9. Let sauce simmer on medium heat for 60 minutes or until desired consistency is achieved. Stir every few minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste. Sauce will be a little chunky.
10. Slice meatloaf onto a plate and cover with sauce before serving.