Caribbean Braised Chicken Thighs
- serves 4 - 6
Bring the taste of the Caribbean to your table with this great recipe which also includes a side sweet potato mash.
You might also like the Best Chicken Thigh Recipes.
1 splash oil
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 red onion, chopped
2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
1 heads garlic, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
2 cup pineapple juice
1 Habanero chili, finely chopped (optional)
1-inch knob freshly grated frozen ginger
½ tsp salt
¼ cup dark rum
a few handfuls fresh cilantroFor the Sweet Potato Mash
2 large or 4 medium sweet potatoes, cut in large chunks
1 can (398 mL) coconut milk
1 whole nutmeg, grated (about a tablespoon)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
2 green onions, chopped
1. Match your favourite frying pan or skillet with a tight fitting lid and medium high heat. Splash and swirl in enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken thighs, sear the first side until its golden brown and crusty, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and sear the second side until it’s equally golden brown and delicious. The goal here is not to fully cook the meat but just to add lots of brown flavour to the works while the pan temperature is high enough. Reduce the heat to medium, remove the chicken thighs and set aside.
2. Add the onion, pepper, garlic, cinnamon and allspice and sauté briefly, 2-3 minutes. Toss in the mango, pineapple juice, Habanero chili, ginger and salt. Adjust your heat to bring the works to a slow, steady simmer, avoiding a rapid boil. Return the chicken to the pan, cover tightly and simmer until it reaches an internal temp of 165ºF, 10 to 15 minutes. Dinner is ready to eat now but if you have time for maximum tenderness carry on cooking for an additional 45 minutes. The chicken will then be tender enough to remove the bones. Either way, it’s delicious!
3. Stir in the rum and garnish with the cilantro.For the Sweet Potato Mash
1. Add the coconut milk, sweet potato, nutmeg, vanilla and salt a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 25 minutes. Mash and garnish with green onions.
2. Serve chicken over mounds of sweet potato mash.