Cauliflower Cheddar Soup with Salsa
- prep time15 min
- total time 45 min
- serves 6-8
A thick, warming soup loaded with vegetables, cheddar cheese and herbs.Courtesy of Black Diamond.
1 cauliflower, broken into florets
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 tsp olive oil
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
2 ribs celery, roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 potato, peeled and roughly chopped
8 cup chicken stock
3 Tbsp fresh thyme
½ cup Black Diamond Sharp Cheese Spread
2 tomato, seeded and finely chopped
4 Tbsp green pepper, finely chopped
3 Tbsp coriander, chopped
6 tsp red onion, finely chopped
6 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tsp cumin
4 tsp olive oil
¼ cup 35% cream (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, melt the butter with the olive oil over medium heat.
2. Once the butter is liquid, add in the onions, carrot, and celery. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables start to sweat, stirring frequently. Add the cauliflower and cook for 5 more minutes with the lid on. Next, add the potato, fresh thyme, and chicken stock and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, and then lower temperature and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, coriander, red wine vinegar, cumin, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
4. After 30-40 minutes, lift the pot’s lid and stir in the Black Diamond Sharp Cheese Spread until melted.
5. Take the soup off the heat and, using a hand blender, turn into a puree.
6. Serve the soup with a heaping dash of salsa for garnish.