Cavatelli with Sausage, Fennel and Mushrooms
- prep time10 min
- total time 30 min
- serves 4
Crumbled sausage and wild mushrooms give this pasta a hearty, earthy taste.
500 g fresh cavatelli
9 oz spicy sausage, casing removed
3 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp dried chili flakes
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bunch fennel fronds, chopped (reserve half for garnish)
450 g wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, trimmed and torn
½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, freshly grated
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it and add your pasta. Because it’s fresh, it will only take a few minutes to cook. It will rise to the top when it’s done.
2. Crumble sausages with your hands into bite-sized pieces.
3. Once the meat is cooked, add your mushrooms and a bit of salt and continue to cook. Toss in your fennel fronds and remove garlic cloves and combine.
4. Add your cooked pasta, a long with a ½ cup of reserved pasta water to the sauce and combine. Remove from heat.
5. Top with fresh fennel fronds and freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.