Cheese and Turkey French Toast Sandwiches
- prep time10 min
- total time 22 min
- serves 4
A mouth-watering sandwich that's perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dinner!
Courtesy of Alison Kent
4 oz (125 g) spinach leaves (about 4 cups/1 L)
8 tsp (40 mL) grainy or Dijon mustard
8 slices egg bread, such as challah
8 oz (250 g) deli-sliced smoked turkey
8 thin slices Black Diamond Marble Cheese (about 6 oz/175 g)
½ cup (125 mL) milk
¼ tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
1. Place spinach in a saucepan with just the water clinging to leaves; cover and cook over medium-high heat until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain; press out any liquid. Coarsely chop.
2. Spread mustard on each of 4 slices of bread; arrange spinach, turkey and cheese on top. Top with remaining bread slices.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper; dip each sandwich to coat both sides and soak up egg mixture.
4. In a large stick-resistant skillet, melt half of the butter over medium heat; fry, 2 sandwiches at a time and turning once, until golden, about 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches.
5. Place sandwiches on baking sheet; transfer to preheated 400°F (200°C) oven and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut in half on diagonal.