Cheesy Mac 'N Rib
- prep time15 min
- total time 25 min
- serves 4
Mac and Cheese with pulled pork stuffed into a sandwich? Try this filling sandwich courtesy of Dave Dahni and Michele Grant of the Grilled Cheese Truck!
8 slices buttermilk bread
8 oz soft unsalted butter
6 oz mayonnaise
4 cup of your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe
2 yellow onions, sliced into ¼-inch strips
3 Tbsp butter
salt & pepper
2 cup of pulled pork
1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1. Beat butter and mayonnaise in a mixer until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure complete mixing. Set aside.
2. Prepare your favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. When finished, spread evenly into a sheet pan or casserole dish to a thickness of about 3/4-inch. Cover with plastic wrap and cool in refrigerator.
3. Cut the chilled macaroni and cheese into squares that are slightly smaller than the diameter of your bread.
4. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a heavy bottomed pan. Add sliced onions and cook over a medium/high heat stirring frequently until onions have caramelized. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Heat up BBQ sauce and add pulled pork. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
6. Generously butter one side of each slice of bread with the butter/mayo mixture. Be sure to butter to the very edges!
7. On unbuttered side, layer as follows:
8. Use a flat, non-stick griddle and bring to a medium heat (approx. 340 degrees).
9. Lay sandwiches on hot griddle and proceed to cook on one side until golden brown (about 3-4 minutes). A bacon press or heavy pan may be placed on top of sandwiches to help with interior melting. Flip sandwich and repeat.
10. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 minute before cutting. Enjoy!