Chicken Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
- serves 4
This is one of my favourite soups. It’s easy to make and delicious. Only high-quality chicken stock will do here. If you like, substitute rice for the orzo pasta. Yield is 4 to 6 servings.
8 cup chicken stock
¾ cup orzo pasta, or, rice
coarse salt, and freshly cracked black pepper
juice of one lemon
1. In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil.
2. Add the orzo pasta and simmer, uncovered, until pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and lemon juice until frothy.
4. Take a ladleful of the hot broth from pot into a measuring cup and add slowly to the egg mixture while whisking vigorously.
5. Pour this mixture back into hot soup.
6. Remove immediately from heat and do not boil.
7. Adjust seasoning and serve immediately.