Chicken Rice Soup
- prep time10 min
- total time 70 min
- serves 6
Hearty, warm and inviting, tuck into a bowl of flavourful goodness.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Olive oil, for drizzling
¼ tsp ground thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp butter
3 stalks celery, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
1 onion, finely diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
1 pinch turmeric
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups long-grain rice
Minced fresh parsley, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
2. Drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with the ground thyme and some salt and pepper. Put the chicken in a roasting pan and roast until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a pot over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery, carrots, onions and bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme and turmeric and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, cover, bring to a simmer and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the rice according to the package instructions; keep warm.
5. Shred or chop the chicken and add it to the pot with the soup. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Stir in the rice and minced parsley and serve.