Chicken Teriyaki with Sticky Rice, Grilled Broccoli and Seaweed Salad
- serves 2
This chicken teriyaki dish is a thrill to make and produces a lot of delicious, aromatic food.
1 piece lemongrass (just the 5 inches/13cm of white root), thinly sliced
1 knob ginger (roughly the same size of your thumb), thinly sliced
½ cup (125 mL) soy sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
1 clove garlic, sliced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) honey
3 Tbsp rice vinegar
4 boneless chicken thighs, skin on
Vegetable oil, for grillingSticky Rice
2 cups (500 mL) sushi rice (short grain, glutinous rice), rinsed under cold water for 2-3 minutes until the run-off water is clear and no starch is coming off)
3 cups (750 mL) water
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
⅓ cup (75 mL) rice vinegarGrilled Broccoli
1 head Chinese broccoli or regular broccoli, stems removed and cut into sections
2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
1 pinch salt
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) sesame seeds, toasted
1 small red chile, sliced fine
2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
1 pinch saltSeaweed Salad
3 Tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice (yuzu juice is recommend but difficult to find unless you have access to a good Asian grocery)
2 Tbsp (30 mL) orange juice
¼ cup (60 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp (15 mL) mirin (rice wine)
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup (250 mL) dried wakame seaweed, reconstituted in warm water for 30 minutes and drained
1. Place all of the teriyaki ingredients (except the chicken) into a small pot and boil for 3-5 minutes or until reduced by a quarter. Let stand in the pot for 10 minutes to allow the flavours to come together and strain.
2. Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
3. In a bowl, lightly salt and rub chicken with oil.
4. Over a hot grill, or grill pan, place the chicken legs skin side down and cook them until the skin renders and browns, about 5-7 minutes. Flip the chicken over and brush a couple spoons of the teriyaki sauce over it.
5. Cook the flesh side for just 1-2 minutes and transfer to an oven-proof pan.
6. Brush the remainder of the teriyaki over the chicken and place the pan into the oven for 6-8 minutes.Sticky Rice
1. In a small pot combine the rice and water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Uncover the rice and check to see the grains are fully swollen and the water absorbed. If not, continue cooking on low until the water is all absorbed.
3. Let the rice sit in the covered pot for 10 minutes after cooking.
4. In a small bowl combine the sugar, salt and rice vinegar.
5. Gently tip the rice out into a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, splash all of the dressing over the rice, turning the mixture over carefully until the grains are evenly coated. (Take care not to move the rice around more than necessary or you’ll begin to break it up.)
6. Keep warm with plastic wrap.Grilled Broccoli
1. In a bowl, add broccoli. Season with salt and oil.
2. Over a hot grill, or grill pan, cook broccoli moving it around every 30 seconds until it gets nice grill marks and it’s about half way cooked.
3. Add garlic, sesame seeds, chile. Place the broccoli in the oven with the chicken for 3-5 minutes to finish cooking.Seaweed Salad
1. Mix everything except the seaweed to create a dressing.
2. Add the drained seaweed to the dressing and toss. Refrigerate.
3. To plate: Spoon a heaping mound of warm sushi rice down on a plate. Remove chicken from the oven and serve one piece over the rice, spooning a little extra of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken and rice. Place a pile of the broccoli and seaweed salad on the plate and garnish with a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds.