1 ¾ cup (425 mL) dried dates, pitted and chopped
⅓ cup (75 mL) maple syrup
1 orange, zested
¾ cup (175 mL) water
½ cup (125 mL) butter, room temperature
½ cup (125 mL) sugar
1 ½ cup (375 mL) tapioca flour
½ cup (125 mL) cocoa powder
¼ tsp (60 mL) baking soda
3 Tbsp almond milk
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Line 8 in. (2L) square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a sauce pan combine the dates, maple syrup, orange zest and water.
3. Simmer until mixture thickens to a jam consistency, approximately 15 minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar and set aside.
5. In a separate bowl combine the tapioca flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine.
6. Mix dry ingredients into the butter and sugar. Stir in the thickened cooked dates and almond milk.
7. Spread mixture into lined pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing.