Chocolate and Sweet Potato Bagatelle
- serves 6 - 8
Individual trifles made with chocolate cake cubes and a creamy chocolate-sweet potato mixture.
1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ devil's food or chocolate fudge cake mix
1 medium sweet potato
4 oz dark chocolate (or 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips)
3 Tbsp honey
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup Splenda
6 Tbsp corn starch
4 cups 2% milk
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Make chocolate Betty Crocker cake mix according to the instructions indicated on the box and cook in a rectangular pan for about 25 mins. Let cool and cut into cubes.
3. In the meantime, peel the sweet potato, dice it, and cook it in a small pot of water, covered, until soft. Drain and save the water.
4. Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler.
5. Put the sweet potato and the chocolate in a blender, adding a little bit of the saved water until you obtain the desired texture (a little firmer/thicker than pudding).
6. Add honey and sugar, mix well. Pour onto a cookie sheet and refrigerate.
7. Prepare the blanc a manger by mixing the Splenda and starch in a pot, then add milk and cook until thickened. Take the sweet potato mixture out of the fridge and transfer it into a pastry pouch with a sleeve/funnel.
8. Transfer the blanc a manger into a verrine, alternating the cake and the chocolate/sweet potato mixture.
Recipe by Helene Mallette