Chocolate Truffle Tart with 3 Variations
- serves 8 - 12
Courtesy of Jackie Kai Ellis of Beaucoup Bakery.
8 - 12 pre-baked tart shells of your choice
400 g good-quality dark chocolate (such as Valrhona)
50 g sugar
500 g whipping cream
50 g butter
1 vanilla bean, scraped of its seeds
Variation 1: Gold leaf
Variation 2: 1 pint fresh raspberries
Variation 3: 1/2 cup toasted cocoa nibs and 16-24 chocolate truffles
1. Bake your tart shells to medium golden brown.
2. Finely chop the chocolate and place in a large heat-proof bowl.
3. Heat cream, scraped vanilla bean pod and seed and sugar until just under boiling and pour over the chocolate.
4. Let sit for 2 minutes being sure that all the chocolate is submerged. Remove the vanilla pod.
5. Slowly emulsify the chocolate by making small circles with a spatula and mixing outwards slowly as cream gets incorporated.
6. Finish by mixing in the butter until it is melted and incorporated.
7. Top with the one of the three variations to decorate.
8. Tart can be made one to two days ahead, tightly wrapped. Decorate the day of serving.