Chorizo and Chickpea Sauce with Rice Pasta
- prep time30 min
- total time 75 min
- serves 4 - 6
This delicious pasta is made with Spanish chorizo with a plan for making the sauce ahead of time so you can get down to dinner fast.
2 Tbsp EVOO
8 oz Spanish chorizo, casing removed and finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 (18-oz) can chickpeas, drained
1 ½ cups chicken stock
2 Tbsp fresh rosemary needles, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup dry red wine, such as Rioja
1 (28- to 32-oz) can San Marzano plum tomatoes
1 lb(s) rice pasta, such as rigatoni or penne
1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
1. Heat the EVOO in Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo, brown and render and then remove with a slotted spoon. Add the garlic and onions, then reduce the heat a bit.
2. Place half of the chickpeas in a food processor and pulse to process. Add chicken stock and rosemary and process to make a finely chopped saucy mixture.
3. Add the tomato paste to the onions and stir, 1 minute. Add the wine and deglaze the pan. Then add the chicken stock and chickpea mixture to the onions, and stir to combine. Add the tomatoes and break them up a bit. Add the remaining whole chickpeas and simmer the sauce over low heat, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat the sauce over medium heat while cooking the pasta.
5. Heat a large pot of water to cook the pasta and season with salt. Cook the pasta to al dente, 5 to 6 minutes, and reserve 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water.
6. Toss the pasta with the parsley and the sauce, and use a little starchy water if necessary to combine.