Chuck Hughes' No Knead Bread
- prep time1 min
- total time 50 min
- serves 16
This moist bread keeps well for a few days if placed in a seal proof plastic bag. Also can be frozen for many weeks.
Yield: 2 loaves
3 cup very warm but not hot water
1 Tbsp dry active yeast
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
3 cup white flour
2 ½ cup – 3 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tbsp coarse salt
A sprinkle of raw sugar
A sprinkle of steak spice
1. Mix together in your large bread making bowl and allow to bubble up and foam: The yeast, sugar and water. Wait a few minutes till yeast starts to work then add vinegar and oil
2. Add the white flour cup by cup stirring well after each addition. Then add the whole wheat flour mixing in the salt at one point, cup by cup stirring well after each addition. This dough will still be a little bit wet and spongy.
3. Cover with a damp tea towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 – 40 minutes or until it has doubled in size.
4. Using a big spatula, spoon out into 2 well-greased loaf pans. Using your fingers if needed, press the sides down, helping to create the perfect loaf shape. (do not knead)
5. With a knife make 2 or 3 diagonal shallow incisions in the loaves.
6. Top with your favourite herbs or spices. For the savoury loaf sprinkle with steak spice. For the other sprinkle with demerrara (raw) sugar.
7. Bake the loaves about 50 minutes @ 375 degrees F or until they are golden brown and crusty on top and sound hollow when tapped on the underside.
8. Let sit if you can wait, for at least 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with butter.