Classic Crab Cakes with Pea Puree
- serves 2
These cakes are made with tender Dungeness crab, a variety of herbs and breaded in Japanese breadcrumbs.
2 cups Dungeness crab meat, picked
½ cup (125 mL) yellow pepper, finely chopped
3 Tbsp (45 mL) wild leek bottoms (substitute shallots), finely chopped
1 lemon, zest and juice
2 Tbsp (30 mL) mayonnaise
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sour cream
1 Tbsp (15 mL) dill, finely chopped
1 Tbsp (15 mL) parsley, finely chopped
1 dash hot sauce
2 tsp (10 mL) kosher salt
1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
2 - 3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) or other breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oilPea Puree
4 cups (1 L) peas
½ cup (125 mL) wild meel leaves/tops or 1 Tbsp (15 mL) shallots
2 Tbsp (30 mL) sugar
2 Tbsp (30 mL) yogurt
1 lemon, zest only
2 Tbsp (30 mL) mint, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a stainless steel bowl, add crabmeat. Pat dry with paper towel and be sure it is free of shell.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to the crab except for the breadcrumb and oil.
3. Gently mix to incorporate the ingredients but keep in mind that you want to preserve as many large chunks as crab as possible for the best texture in the crab cake.
4. Add 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) of panko breadcrumbs depending on whether you prefer a loose crab cake or one that is a little stiffer and easier to work with.
5. Once everything is mixed, shape the crab cakes into the desired size, similar shape to a burger.
6. Add the panko to a pie plate, lightly press each crab cake into the breadcrumbs.
7. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC) as well as a seasoned cast iron or non-stick pan and add vegetable oil.
8. Fry the crab cakes for 3-5 minutes on one side, then flip them when golden brown and finish in the oven for 8 minutes.
9. Lay the crab cakes on the pea puree and serve with lightly dressed greens.Pea Puree
1. Salt a pot of water, this time add an equal part of sugar and salt to the boiling water.
2. Blanch the peas in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes and refresh in an ice bath.
3. Blend all remaining items with the peas in a blender or food processor.
4. Serve with Crab Cakes recipe.