Classic Hollandaise Sauce
- prep time10 min
- total time 13 min
- serves 4
Deliciously creamy hollandaise is the perfect sauce for eggs.
¾ cup unsalted butter
3 egg, yolks
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 pinch pepper
1. Remove 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the butter and keep cold in refrigerator. In small saucepan, melt remaining butter; keep warm.
2. In heavy-bottomed saucepan or in stainless steel bowl, whisk egg yolks until thickened and pale. Whisk in water and lemon juice. Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the cold butter.
3. Set saucepan over low heat or place bowl over saucepan of1 1/2- inches (4 cm) barely simmering water; whisk until bottom of pan can be seen between whisks and wires of whisk become lightly coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, immediately whisk in remaining cold butter to stop the cooking of the yolks.
5. By driblets, whisk in enough of the melted butter to thicken to consistency of whipping cream. Increasing amount of butter slightly, whisk in remaining butter.
6. Season with salt and pepper.